Tuesday, February 1, 2011

south african raleigh chopper basket case

newest find, purchase off ebay, had to drive 4 hours to fall rivers,ma to pick up, seller wouldn't ship. The bike has two tone decals, mk1 sissybar,odd seat material, headbadge says springs, south africa instead of nottingham england. I have never seen one like this before. anyone with info please let me know
thanks



I will attempt a resto on this bike saving the decals. the top bar is bent and broken off at the rear downpost. someone installed a oddball fork and forced bearing cups in the frame. and the paint   well you can see the paint.  watch for further pics as the resto proceeds

1 comment:

  1. Hey Steve, I'm from Durban, S. Africa.. I had a Mk2 just like yours in 1974. My parents sold it to get me a 10 speed racer road bike. Guess what... I found one about a month ago and bought it. Restoring it currently. Yes, it is also like the one in your pic manufactured in Springs which is an industry town just outside of Johannesburg. Spare parts are hard to come by nowadays. Love your passion for the classics.. Keep it real :-)

    ReplyDelete